Study From Home and Participate in live hands-on/practical clinical externship
GET TRAINED & NATIONALLY CERTIFIED in a few days. National Certification Included in Tuition.
New Career Training Institute’s accelerated home study Pharmacy Technician program features a blended 100-hours of online lecture or paper-based study material in the comfort of your own home, and a required two days of live hands-on/practical clinical internship with a Licensed instructor held in a classroom lab or healthcare setting that will give you real-life experience you can put on your résumé and prepare you for a new career. National Certification Included in Tuition.
Method of Evaluation: Students must achieve a minimum of 70% final average and must be in attendance 100% of the mandatory 2 day clinical in order to pass competencies. Students must be in proper attire (any color scrubs, closed-toe shoes, properly groomed)
Certification: Included in this course is the National exam.
Textbook(s): are included in the cost of tuition and will be distributed via mail or email.
Expectations for taking this course: Homework assignments will be submitted and quizzes will be taken by the student.
During the course, there will be lab skills activities, and a mandatory 2-3 days at a clinic to practice your skills. The National Certification exam is included in this course. This is included in the tuition
How long does it take to complete this program?
This program is self-paced and open enrollment, so you can start when you want and finish at your own pace.
*Average completion time for this program if you study on a full time basis is about 8 weeks
*Average completion time for this program if you study on a part time basis is about 12 weeks
Complete your course work online, through the mail, or in combination.
You can study either via the paper-based or the online method: Click here for a full breakdown of how it Works
Externship – Additional Externships are available to you. It is a 40-hour clinical externship for $300. The additional 40-hour clinical externships are available once you have completed the Training course. The 40 externship hours are not included in this training. Please contact Dr. Miller when you are ready to register for the 40- hour-externship. The educational objective of this clinical externship gives students the chance to spend up to 40 hours in diverse settings and practice hands-on skills. *Clinical Externships start twice a month in 36 states on the 1st and the 15th.
Pharmacy Technicians generally work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist and perform tasks related to receiving, dispensing, distribution, control, maintenance, compounding, manufacturing, packaging and labeling of pharmaceutical products. Currently, Pharmacy Technicians are assuming more responsibility for routine tasks, previously performed by pharmacists, and will be responsible for mastering new pharmacy technology as it becomes available. Opportunities for advancement may vary with thePharmacy Technician’s employer.
Upon successful completion of this program, and in accordance with State guidelines, students will earn an Diploma.
The Pharmacy Technician Program
This program will prepare students to enter the pharmacy field and to pursue certification including the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board’s exam. This course covers the following key areas and topics
- Pharmacy calculations
- Medical terminology specific to the pharmacy
- Skills to read and interpret prescriptions
- Review of the top 200 drugs
- Skills to identify drugs by generic and brand names
- Dosage calculations, I.V. flow rates, drug compounding, and dose conversions
- Dispensing of prescriptions, inventory control, and billing and reimbursement
- Metric System
- Communications & Interpersonal Skills
- Medicinal Drugs
- Pharmaceutical Compounding
- Sterile Techniques
- Maintenance of Inventory
- IV Preparation
- Preparing Purchase Orders
- Receiving and Checking Supplies Purchased
- Printing Labels
- Typing Prescription Labels
- Delivering Medications
- Pricing Prescription Drug Orders and Supplies
- Prepackaging Unit Dose Packages
- Patient Record Systems
- Control Records
- Data Processing
- Health & Safety including CPR
- Computer Literacy
- Employability Skills
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- The history of pharmacy and healthcare
- Pharmacy technician role and responsibilities
- Pharmacy technician certification and registration process
- Types of pharmacies including the hospital pharmacy, retail practice, long-term care practice, mail order pharmacy, home care pharmacies, and others
- Drug regulation and control
- Pharmaceutical terminology and related anatomy
- Parts of the prescription and labeling
- Pharmacy calculations and math review
- Pharmacy measures and abbreviations
- Routes and formulations
- Parenterals and compounding
- Basic biophamaceutics
- Aseptic technique and the handling of sterile products
- Total Parenteral Nutrition (TPN)
- Basics of IV solutions and calculating 24-hour supply of IV solutions
- Factors affecting drug activity
- Information and pharmacy resources
- Inventory management and financial issues
- Brand names and generic drugs
- Drug names and drug classes
The length of this program is 300 hours/approx.1 month (full-time).
The Pharmacy Technician Profession
The need for Pharmacy technicians continues to grow with demand expected to increase substantially through 2014. Technicians work under the supervision of a registered pharmacist in hospitals, home infusion pharmacies, community pharmacies and other healthcare settings. This high demand for pharmacy technicians is the result of a multitude of factors including the constant availability of new drugs, the national shortage of registered pharmacists, the establishment of certified pharmacy technicians, and the aging population. Approximately 400,000 technicians will be employed by the year 2018 to meet our nation’s growing healthcare demands.
What types of companies might hire me?
- Chain retail pharmacies
- Educational and training programs
- Home health care agencies
- Independent retail pharmacies
- Local hospitals
- Long term care facilities
- Mail order drug companies
- Managed health care facilities
Specifics About the Course:
- Classes are divided into two components: Home study learning /lecture and Clinical Lab experience
- Learning /lecture – is done at your own pace on your schedule (approximately total 300 hours).
- Clinical Lab experience – Students are required to complete hands-on practical training at a pre-approved clinical setting.
- Course Materials – are included.
- Tutoring – One-on-one communication with your instructor.
- Exam Preparation – FREE CERTIFICATION PREPARATION prior to students taking their certification exams.
- Certification Exams are administered on site at clinical lab session.
- Clinical Class size – Class sizes are kept small to maximize instructor to student learning.
- Payment – affordable, interest free, low monthly payment plans.
- Tuition $998
- Separate Registration Fee $260
- Completion Time: The length of this program is (approximately 300 hours).
Industry Certification & State Credential Exams:
Completing students are eligible to take the National Certification exam given by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
A career in this field may require you to meet certain licensing, training, and other requirements that can vary by vocation and state. You should check with your state, local government and/or licensing board to find out which requirements may be applicable in your state.